Santa Barbara Bugs
Connecting the Santa Barbara community to edible insects.
Normalizing edible insects may help create a more sustainable, healthy, and just food system. Santa Barbara Bugs is a local, collaborative effort to create dialogue about food and the future through edible insects. Join us in learning, teaching and sharing stories about edible insects and food in our community.
The Research Team
Santa Barbara Bugs is growing! We have a team of students and community members who lead edible insect education and share information with others in our local area. Some have even started insect farms! Contact us to find out how to get involved.
I am an Anthropology PhD Researcher at UC Santa Barbara. I began farming mealworms in 2014 and have since been involved in research and discussion around the future of food. My work considers cultural food perceptions (why do we eat what we eat?) and issues of sustainability, justice, and food sovereignty.
1. Check out this interview with KCSB radio.
2. Stay up-to-date on local edible insect events or organize your own.
3. Find edible insects in our local area to create your own taste experience.
4. Ask us a question to find out more!
Connect with us on Instagram:
1. Ralphs: Chirps Chips
2. Mercado El Rey: Chapulines
3. Old Town Coffee: Exo Crickets
4. The Arbor: Exo Crickets
5. IV Co-op: Chirps Chips
6. 8 Regiones Comida Oaxaqueña: Chapulines
7. Oaxaco: Chapulines